God bless America!
- For having given me a job, a career, and a new language
- For my first home, where I lived with the woman who is still my wife after 40 years
- For being the land where my son was born
- For the fog of San Francisco's bay, for the great trees of the Sequoia National Park, for the Japanese gardens on the hill
- For the raccoons cavorting in the garden, for the blue jays landing on the window sill, for the lone coyote trotting along the street.
- For the bottomless cup of coffee, for the champagne brunch, for the maple syrup and the pancakes
- For Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, and Leonard Cohen
- For John Muir, Rachel Carson, and Donella Meadows
- For Ursula Le Guin, Robert Anson Heinlein, and Isaac Asimov
- For all that and so much more
God bless America. She needs that. Badly.